Dely submits that by offloading some of the MAC layer processing (non-realtime MAC functionality) to cloud-based virtual machines, and by integrating his CloudMAC architecture with OpenFlow (a software defined networking approach), a new level of flexibility and reconfigurability is reached, which maximizes wireless networks through seamless AP switching, fast packet processing and reduced packet loss.
His motivation for developing CloudMAC includes:
- AP hardware and software is becoming more complex;
- managing and configuring large wireless deployments is challenging;
- current management protocols, such as CAPWAP are limited;
- no standard, vendor-neutral way to deploy wireless network applications;
- physical layer is getting faster than low-power APs;
- CloudMAC is a new wireless architecture for large enterprises and carrier grade wireless networks;